Can I TA CY 3740 / CY 5770?
Yes, with limitations.
Foremost, please do NOT send me an email. That does nothing useful. I'll reply back with a link to this page.
I have very specific needs from my TAs for CY 3740 / CY 5770. There is no generic homework grading responsibilities and such. You will instead be tasked with assisting students 1:1 during labs and office hours, as well as guiding discussions online every day. Therefore, it's crucial that you have hands-on exploitation experience.
I prioritize applications in this order:
- Students already taken my courses. The more challenges completed, the better.
- Students taken CY 5770 (emphasis: not 3740, not 2550) with another professor.
- Everybody else that can demonstrate systems security experience.
Summer terms are great for Group 3 as higher priority applicants are rarely available.
I simply won't hire applicants who don't have any practical security background. If you are in this group, you are below the bargaining range. I hate to exclude you, but ensuring that students learn effectively takes the top priority. I don't have the resources to train TAs from scratch while simultaneously performing my teaching tasks to spec.
Even if you are a security expert, I get a widely variable 0 to 3 TA slots depending on the class size and term, so you may not get picked. Have a plan B.
Here's how to apply:
- Resist the urge to send me an email.
- Apply through the normal hiring channels.
- Were you my student in a previous class?
- YES? You are all set. No need to provide a resume. Leave blank the silly questions about why you want to be a TA and other irrelevancies; you aren't required to explain yourself and I won't read them.
- NO? Read the course description here and present evidence that you are knowledgeable in the ways of systems attacks and defenses covered there. Don't email me! Add the evidence to your application.
Please remember that if you do get picked, I'll expect you to be available during class hours in person. Also note that I always late evening hours. Check the course schedule and make sure you can make it before you apply.
In return, you can expect from me a fulfilling TA season and the opportunity to max out your pay hours.